Friday, October 22, 2010

a little bit of this and that...

Two things:

1. Today I was a calculus teacher. All I did was sit back and listen to the students explain how to do the problems. It was really pretty wonderful. I mean, what do they even need a teacher for? They seemed to know it all.

I was also an Advanced Algebra teacher. It's true. I felt smart. But not really. All I did was call their names out and hand out a work sheet. You know what one of my favorite things about subbing is? It's when the teacher leaves a seating chart. You see, when the teacher leaves a seating chart I know where they are supposed to sit. But they don't know that. And they think they can sit where ever they like. Well... they can't! haha. Because as I take roll I look at the seating chart to make sure they are there and when I see they are not in their seat, I look at them and say, "That's not where you sit." Then they get this incredulous look on their little face and say, "uh. ya it is." For some reason they always like to disagree with me. I don't like that part about subbing.

So I say, "No, it's not. You need to move to your seat."

"Really? I have to sit there? You won't be nice and let me sit here? Just for today? I'll be good. I promise." Although I know that they won't and they will probably be more trouble (which is why there is a seating chart). Why can't they just say, "yes, ok. I will move."? ...well, I guess some of them do. After I tell them they need to move, they look at me like I have magical powers because I know that's not their seat, and then they shrug their shoulders pick up their books and reluctantly shuffle over to their seat. What I like comes next... after the one kid gets called out for not sitting in their seat, everyone else in the room moves to their seat because they don't want to get called out. Which is good I guess. It amuses me to watch them think they can get away with something and then realize they can't. o yes. The one and only joy of subbing. maybe. probably. or not. I'm sure there's another.

so yes. there's that.

Then there's this...

2. I was at the grocery store the other day and a few interesting things happened. The first was this: I over heard a mom run into someone she knew and apparently hadn't seen in a while. I know this because she introduced her husband, Bob and then her son, Starfish, to the person. His name was Starfish. I'm not even kidding you. Starfish. poor kid. That's what the mother named him. I mean, that's just not right. I don't mean to offend you if your name is Starfish or if you happened to name you child Starfish. But I just can't but help be amazed that someone would actually give their child that name. I mean, a name is something they have to live with for the rest of their life. ya know? I know that, but apparently they didn't get that memo. that's why you do not name them Starfish or Jellyfish or Tuna or Casserole. ya know? seriously....

Also, when I was at the store, in the check out line I looked over and saw the lady in line next to me. She had a cart full of soda. pop. coke. soft drinks. soda pop. whatever you call it, that's what was in her cart. She had Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Diet drinks of everything. There were 2 liters, and 24 packs... I didn't think it was even possible to buy that many of something at once. Maybe she had some really great coupons or something, who knows. But it was crazy. Really. I mean, she had enough to last 10 years. Or not. Because if she bought that much of it then she probably drinks it like it's her job. holy cow. I would not want to be her dentist. That's all I'm sayin'.

anyway. that's what I saw (heard). so yup. that's about it. for now. I'll probably cook something up later on so. yup. then there will be that. but for now, it's just this. yup. ok.

0 comment(s):