Thursday, March 7, 2013

simplify my closet

Sometimes I look into my closet or my dresser drawers and I just want to throw everything out and start fresh. I feel like I do go through my clothes pretty frequently and get rid of the things I don't wear any more, but lately I just want to get rid of everything. I feel like I have more clothes than I really need and I know I don't wear them all. A lot of the clothes came into my closet from family or friends who were getting rid of their clothes, which is nice because it saved me lots of money. And even though I only took the things I liked, there is something to be said for shopping for brand new clothes. Not that I don't shop for new clothes, it's just not  a frequent thing around these parts.

Anyhow. I want to simplify some things in my life. While I was pregnant I had a small collection of clothes that I wore for the six or so months I needed maternity clothes, I liked it. I liked having a few nice tops, a few nice pants, a dress or two, and some sweaters. It was simple.

When I was in college my wardrobe was simple too. I liked it. I had probably had three pairs of jeans at the most at one time, a dozen or so tops, and a hoodie or two. All the staples for a college student. All of the clothes I owned fit into half of a regular sized closet and two dresser drawers, or more importantly two suitcases with some room to spare. I didn't have to put clothes away or pull clothes out for different seasons, they all fit and stayed right where they hung or lay all year long. Which might be why they got worn out pretty quickly.

Nowadays? Not so much. Not that I'm complaining about having clothes, I love clothes, or that I am not thankful for what I do have, I am. I just miss the good ol' simple days when all of my clothes fit with plenty of room to spare in my closet and two dresser drawers. I've been feeling this way for quite some time now, and maybe I'm thinking about it more and more these days because all of my clothes are fitting funny right now. I'm not pregnant any more and even though I fit into my old shirts, they do not look flattering at all, the maternity shirts still fit the best because they help hide the little belly I have yet to work off. Which is fine, I know it takes time to loose all of the baby weight. But it makes me think about my collection of clothes. I have too many.

I have too many clothes, so I want to get rid of all of them and just buy all brand new ones. Start fresh. Maybe keep a few pieces that cannot be replaced, but pretty much start over, kind of like what they do in What Not to Wear. Does this make sense? Does this sound crazy? Have I lost my mind? If I were to tell the hubs that I have too many clothes, that I want to get rid of them all, and that I want to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, he would just laugh. Even though the clothes I buy would not be many...

This is crazy. It's okay, you can tell me. But I'm still going to think this way. I'm still wanting to simplify my wardrobe. ... and I think that's ok. And I think I will go through my clothes and really get rid of some things ... and maybe buy a few new things, maybe. I will let you know how that goes. But over the next few days I will be sharing what I think would be the perfect wardrobe with you all. It's pretty awesome if you ask me. So make sure you come back to check out what I would like my collection of clothes to look like, mmk?



0 comment(s):