Monday, March 11, 2013

new treat test

Recently I have had a lot of time to sit around and well, sit. It's pretty tricky to do a whole lot while you are nursing a little baby. Thankfully we have an iPad and the Hubs has an iPod so whenever I am nursing I am able to have one of those handy devices in case I am looking for something to do instead of well, just sit. So anyhow, after reading all the blogs I could, and checking my email a thousand times I got on Pinterest. And I found a recipe for homemade Twix bars. Holy moly. Pinned it. And then I decided to try these little suckers out on some friends we had coming over. So I whipped up a batch. Sadly I only got half of it done before the friends came over... some one decided he was hungry and wanted to eat. What was I to do? I just finished them the next day because I couldn't leave them half made. Now I have a big fat pan of twix bars all to myself, hubs doesn't like caramel.



Homemade Twix Bars [with my alterations]

1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla 
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups caramel (I used the little vanilla caramel candies that are already in little squares)
3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
2 - 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips 

Crust: 
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking pan. Combine butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add flour and mix well. Press dough into pan. Prick with a fork and bake for 30-35 minutes. After removing from oven run a knife along the edges. Let cool. 

Caramel: 
Melt caramels and cream in a saucepan. Pour over cooled crust. Let cool [stick in in the fridge for a half hour or so]

Chocolate: 
While the caramel is cooling melt the chocolate. You can melt it in the microwave in 10 second intervals stirring every 10 seconds or you can use the double boiler method [which is what I did]. Once melted, pour over caramel layer. Let cool. Then eat some yummies! 


I hope you all had a good weekend :) 



0 comment(s):