Thursday, October 18, 2012

Comfort and Loss

My sister received some heartbreaking news this week and since she told me my heart has been broken for her. I don't know that it is my place to go into detail or share the news right now, maybe in the future I will, but for now I will leave it at that. I hurt so much for her.

After she told me and the tears stopped for a little while, I was praying and seeking the Lord, these few verses stuck out to me... I don't know that they will comfort her or help in any way, but they stuck out to me so here they are... 

"...then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. For I know the plans I have for you," says The Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you," says The Lord. "I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes."

- Jeremiah 29:10-14

"May God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord give you grace, mercy, and peace. ... All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God. Amen."

- 1 Timothy 1:2, 17


"Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer; answer me, for I need your help. Protect me, for I am devoted to you. Save me, for I serve you and trust you. You are my God. Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am calling on you constantly. Give me happiness, O Lord, for I give myself to you. 
... Listen closely to my prayer, O Lord; hear my urgent cry. I will call to you whenever I'm in trouble, and you will answer me.
... You alone are God. 
... Look down and have mercy on me. Give your strength to your servant. Send me a sign of your favor. 
...you, O Lord, help and comfort me.

- Psalm 86:1-4, 6-7, 10b, 15-17



I don't understand why my sister has to go through this time of pain and sorrow. I wish so badly that I could take it away, to make everything better and right. I wish this had never happened to her (or anyone). But there is nothing I can do to fix it. Nothing. I just want her to have her joy again, and it's been taken from her. 

I don't know how she's feeling, I can only imagine the pain she is feeling right now. I love her so much and pray for her continually. O, God, be her comfort. 

If you think of it at all over the next few days, or if you could just take some time right now, could you please say a prayer (or many) for my sister, her husband, and her two children? 

1 comment(s):

Jillian said...

praying for your sister and family. May her faith be strong, even when we don't know why these things happen. Hurting for her :(