Saturday, August 18, 2012

about that...

So, I took a little bit of a break from blogging. Not necessarily on purpose. Mostly because life started again. Life as in school. Yes, school has started. I have had a room full of kiddos for a whole eight days now and am getting ready to start my second full week of the year. Here in a few days I will try and take a few pictures of my new and improved classroom and my first day of school picture. 

Yes, my second full week as a second year teacher is about to begin. I can confidently say that I started this year off with a lot more confidence than last year. Last year I was terrified that the kids would eat me, you know, cause they are all so much bigger than me. I had no idea what I was doing. I was, at most, only a day or two ahead of the kids. Not so fun. And while this year I am still only currently a day or two ahead of the kids, I think it will get better and soon I will be a whole unit ahead of them, which would be wonderful and my dream come true :) I'm working on it. As far as the confidence aspect of the year/teaching goes, I have it. I spent a lot of time this summer thinking about how I wanted my classroom to go, what I wanted the kids to do, how to make things run smoothly (or at least smoother than last year), and such. I wrote out so many nit-picky things I wanted to tell them about how to behave in the classroom that I spent the first three days of school going over the syllabus and my personal expectations of them. 

I think it was fairly effective. I wanted to start out as strict and stern as I could possibly be. It seems to be working as the kids do what they are expected to do, what they are asked to do, when they are asked to it. It is wonderful and it makes my heart so happy. If two kids are whispering while I'm talking I get on them and they blush, apologize, and do their work like they were supposed to. I want to smile and do a little jig when this happens, but of course I would loose my effectiveness if I did that. 

All in all, it has been a good start to the year. I am not stressed and don't feel as though the kids are running over me this year. Leaps and bounds better than last year. I am hoping and praying it continues on as such. 

Anyhow. That's been my life as of late. Trying to get lesson plans and be consistent in the classroom. Speaking of which I need to go write out my lesson plans for this week. I will be back, sooner than later this time. If I can remember to take my camera to school one day I'll get some of those pictures of my room (my room makes me so happy this year!!). 

I hope all of you lovelies have a lovely weekend! 




0 comment(s):