Saturday, January 14, 2012

a look at lasik

I've been thinking about getting my eyes fixed. You know, getting laser eye correction surgery. Having my eyes taped wide open and letting a doctor burn them with a laser to help me see. I don't know though. I'm not too keen on lasers, especially when it comes to them burning my eyeballs. I'm very sensitive about my eyes, and very easily grossed out about things having to do with eyes.

I know lots of people who have had Lasik, my hubs and sister included, but I just don't know if I can go through with it. My fear is that I would be in the tiny percentile of people that has major complications from the surgery. For example, complete blindness. At least right now I can see blobs and blurs of colors without my glasses or contacts. I would hate to not even be able to see that much. Or to not have glasses or contacts to wear to help me see the world at all.

The Hubs and I have talked about this now for a little bit. And since I've been thinking about it for a little while I just decided to call a doctor here in town. And I did. I thought, I might as well see (ha ha : ) my options and if getting the surgery is even an option for me. For all I know my eyes could be unfixable. So I called the doctor to set up a little consultation. I thought the wait time would be several weeks or months. Boy, was I wrong. They said they could see me in four days. Four days. So I've been trying to think of as many questions about eye surgery, complications, and such that go along with it.

Have any of you had Lasik? What did you think about it? What questions did you ask your doctor? Was it awful? Did you recover? Go blind? Thoughts? If you haven't had it, would you? If you wouldn't, why not? My insurance says it is covered, which is the only reason I'm even really realistically considering getting it done. ... maybe over Spring Break... But I'm still not sure.

Though, the more I think about it, it really would be nice to be able to see my own hand clearly from more than five inches from my face. It would be nice to wake up and be able to see the clock without fumbling around for my glasses. It would be nice to not have to mess with worrying about taking my contacts out each night. It would be nice to not have to buy contacts, glasses, contact solution, contact cases, glasses cleaner... and everything else that goes along with poor near blindness eye sight. I'm not even exaggerating, I am practically blind.

I think I want to. Get the surgery that is. If I can. But there's still that little worry ... maybe I will find out on Tuesday afternoon if I'm even able to get it done at all. And if I can, the doctor will be so wonderful that I will sign up for it. We shall see (kehehe : ) and I'll let you know what the doctor says.

In the mean time, I am going to enjoy my long weekend. I hope you all have a very relaxing weekend.

See ya later! (haha. I just couldn't resist!)

0 comment(s):