Sunday, January 22, 2012

accident

This week has been like no other that I have known.

On Tuesday we had a tornado warning at school. Yes. A tornado warning. In January. The students were curled up against the lockers in the hallway for 40 minutes. It was a wild. And a little bit scary. Thankfully, nothing happened and we were able to go back to class.

Unfortunately, the rest of the week only went down from there. On Wednesday after school, one of my teacher friends came into my room and told me that there had been an accident involving one of our students and that the student had been killed in a car accident. She didn't know any details, the student's name or anything. Later that evening she called me and told me there were not one but three students involved. Two were killed. One in critical condition.

The next morning we found out the student who was in the hospital had stabilized and was able to go home. Thank the Lord.

The hallways at school were empty that day. Students were there. Walking. But they weren't there. An eerie silence filled the halls. You could have heard a pin drop from the other side of the building. The day was filled with crying, hugs, and prayers. It was one of the hardest days I have experienced as a teacher.

This afternoon is the funeral for both of the girls.

It is a terrible thing that has happened. All I can do is think of and pray for the family and friends of the girls in the accident. If you think of it, please say a little prayer for the families, friends, and the school.

 

2 comment(s):

Maggie said...

I tagged you in my post!! Check it out :) I hope you want to do it!

http://www.acarolinalove.com/2012/01/i-got-tagged.html

kelseylynae said...

Wow. What a tragic event. I can't imagine experiencing this as a teacher [or an 8th grade student]. I hope that things went well today for you all.

Thinking of you.